3 Ways to DIY Your Air Conditioner MaintenanceMay 23, 2018
Get Comfortable for Less With a Programmable ThermostatJuly 18, 2018
With summer’s scorching days upon us, nothing beats the cool relief of air conditioning. Luckily that relief doesn’t have to break your budget. With these simple air conditioning tips from the professionals at Roth Heating Company, you can maintain ideal comfort and lower your energy costs:
- Keep your unit foliage-free. Many homeowners, builders, and landscapers opt to hide outside air conditioner units behind shrubs and other foliage. Though this looks better, too much greenery can restrict airflow and make regular maintenance more difficult. Trim back foliage enough to allow for proper airflow and accessibility, but keep some shade so the unit stays cooler and runs more efficiently.
- A fine filter. A main culprit of an inefficient air conditioning system is a dirty filter. If it’s gray and has an obvious buildup of dust, pet hair, and more, it needs to be replaced. Dirty filters limit proper airflow and can cause other issues, like ice formation or a water leak. Replacing the filter should resolve these issues within a day or two. If problems persist, you may need a new part or repair to get back to cool comfort. You can also clean your ducts to help your air conditioner run efficiently, and improve your overall air quality and comfort.
- Keep temps consistent. Keep your A/C running efficiently by programming your thermostat for blocks of at least four hours of consistent temperature, which acts much like setting the cruise control feature in your car. Also, set your thermostat to 78 degrees when you’re asleep or away to reduce energy costs and keep your air conditioner running at peak efficiency. Finally, switch your fan setting to “on” instead of “auto.” Consistent airflow through your vents—even when the A/C isn’t running—keeps your home cooler.
- Less light. Lights generate heat: the fewer you leave on, the cooler your home will be. Sunlight is even warmer—limit the amount of light you let in to keep your home significantly cooler. Follow the sun’s patterns and close blinds or drapes when the sun hits those windows. While tedious, this actually makes a huge difference in how much heat your air conditioner must handle.
- Annual maintenance. To ensure your air conditioner stays in tip-top shape, schedule an appointment for annual maintenance. This preventive step prolongs the life of your unit and could help prevent costly repairs in the future.
- Time to replace? If your air conditioner is noisy, leaks, or no longer keeps pace with your cooling needs, it may be time for a replacement. As a Carrier® Factory Authorized Dealer, we can help you learn more about your installation options and offer cost-saving promotions.
Trust Our Team to Keep You Comfortable
Let Roth Heating keep you comfortable every season with services beyond air conditioning, like heating and air quality. We serve homeowners like you throughout Southeastern Wisconsin from our convenient Oak Creek and Waterford locations.