How an Air Purifier Can Make You Feel More ComfortableFebruary 20, 2018
Here’s Why R-22 Air Conditioner Refrigerant Is Being Phased OutApril 13, 2018
It may not feel like it now, but summer is just around the corner. That means higher temperatures and humidity levels in Wisconsin. Helping you stay cool and comfortable is our passion, so we’re answering your top cooling FAQs, covering maintenance, filters, and all things air conditioners.
- How often should I schedule air conditioner maintenance? Like any appliance, the better you care for your A/C unit, the better it performs. That’s why the pros at Roth Heating Company recommend regular cleanings and preventive maintenance at least once a year. As a rule of thumb, we suggest scheduling a Clean & Check in the spring, before you start up your air conditioner for the season. We’ll get your A/C ready for summer and catch issues before they become bigger, more costly problems.
- How often should I replace my A/C filter? The short answer is as needed, but that depends on the filter and your lifestyle. A standard media filter needs to be changed at least twice a year. More expensive high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters—like those used in a Carrier® air cleaner—capture up to 99.7 percent of impurities, yet only need to be changed once a year. Just check them occasionally, because if dirt, dust, and contaminants accumulate in the filter, airflow and efficiency suffer.
- How can I increase my home’s cooling efficiency? In addition to staying on top of regular maintenance checks and filter changes, consider adding zones to your home to increase cooling efficiency and reduce energy costs. Zoning systems use individual thermostats and automatic dampers within the ducts to deliver customized cooling to specific areas of your home. You can focus cooling in the rooms you use often, instead of wasting it in those you don’t. It’s also a good idea to ask one of our pros if your current A/C is the right size for your home. A unit that is too large or too small won’t run efficiently. That means a less comfortable environment and higher energy bill.
- When should I replace my cooling system? On average, you can expect most A/C systems to last about 10 to 15 years. But this depends on how often you use it and how well you maintain it. If you notice the tell-tale signs of an aging system—less cooling power, higher energy bills, and more frequent repairs—talk to our team before a major breakdown leaves you struggling through summer. We’ll evaluate your A/C and let you know if it makes sense to repair it. Or explain why you’re better off putting your money toward a new installation.
- Why should I consider a high-efficiency air conditioning unit? Simply put, it saves you money and performs better. There are plenty of options when it comes to air conditioners. For top performance and quiet operation, we recommend Carrier® air conditioners with QuieTech™ noise reduction technology. Its high-efficiency performance helps you save on cooling costs, and the low operating noise level makes your home even more enjoyable.
Want More A/C Advice? Count on Us
Trust Roth Heating to install your new air conditioning system and expertly maintain it for years to come. We have almost 50 years of experience in keeping Milwaukee-area homes comfortable.